Make your homemade coconut oil and baking soda toothpaste and avoid chemical-based toothpaste, which is available everywhere in the market.
Coconut oil is one of the fashionable cosmetic elements that benefit your health in a number of ways: from hydrating your skin to whitening your teeth. It contains natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. And in this, the presence of Laureate acid can reduce the plaque that makes your teeth yellow. It also helps fight gum disease.
Since ancient times, coconut oil has been used in Ayurveda and Ayurvedic medicine considers it a great remedy balm. It helps to eliminate toxins in your mouth and gives you a clean and pleasant breath, which inhibits the tooth decay.
Bleaching teeth with coconut oil should not be good oral hygiene. Brushing your teeth three times a day and flossing regularly will complement your use; However, if you are looking for an alternative to traditional mouthwash, then coconut oil is an excellent choice.
See below, how to whiten teeth with coconut oil, its benefits, techniques to whiten teeth, what results you can get, and how long
1. How To Make Toothpaste With Coconut Oil And Baking Soda
Making toothpaste with coconut oil is very simple. It is very important to remember that baking soda is an abrasive, so this natural toothpaste should not be used every day.
- 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil.
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- If you want to taste in your toothpaste, you can mix half teaspoon peppermint oil, mint, cinnamon or other essential oils. (This is optional)
- Melt coconut oil over low heat.
- After melting, remove it from heat and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until you get a paste.
- If you want a flavor, then add the essential oil.
- Put this mixture on your toothbrush and start cleaning as you usually do.
- Rinse well with water.
- If you want to save preparation, keep it in a glass jar and remember the proportion.
- Never insert the brush directly on the paste, it can contaminate the mixture. Use spatula or spoon.
2. Try Mouth Pulling With Coconut Oil
- Put 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil in your mouth and shake it for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can also use sesame oil or olive oil.
- If you are doing it for the first time, then start from 5 minutes and gradually increase the time.
- Be careful that coconut oil does not swallow, after rinsing your mouth it will be contaminated with bacteria which can cause diseases.
- Do not throw the contents of your mouth in the sink or toilet at the end of the process as it can clog the pipes over time.
- The best time to do oil pulling is in the morning before brushing your teeth.
3. Teeth Whitening Result With Coconut Oil
The result of whitening will depend on many factors, of which: the whitening technique you used, the consistency in the use of coconut oil, the stains depth, and the individual’s oral hygiene. You must bear in mind that if your teeth are very stained and with a very deep yellowish color, then you will need more time to whiten your teeth with coconut oil.
4. How Long Will It Take To Whiten Your Teeth
If the spot is not very deep, it will be faster and easy to whiten teeth with coconut oil, but if your teeth are very yellow, changes will take more time. After two weeks of treatment, you will start to see favorable results.
If talking about freshness and elimination of bacteria, the results will be felt almost immediately, because the antibacterial properties of coconut oil are very powerful.
5. Some Reasons To Use Coconut Oil As A Toothpaste
1. No Chemical Substances
Some studies have shown that triclosan caused fetal bone malformations in rats and mice, which could hint at hormonal effects.
Fluoride is another chemical substance in traditional toothpaste. Fluoride is a toxic industrial waste product that is poisonous in your body, even in small amounts.
2. Effective Against Bacteria
Research also shows that coconut oil massage on your gums helps to reduce the bacterial streptococcus mutans, that cause the tooth decay, as well as plaque.
3. No Sparkling
Many kinds of toothpaste also contain surfactants such as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate (SLS), or sodium ether sulfate (SLES). Surfactants are chemicals to create a foaming effect in toothpaste, but they break the phospholipids in the tongue and inhibit your palate’s function. It promotes bitter taste and is believed to be the reason why after washing your teeth everything seems so bad. It can also be part of the reason that coconut oil works so well for oral hygiene because it helps lipid maintain a more natural balance on the tongue, while still there are powerful antibacterial properties.
And the SLS has been linked to painful ulcers, research suggests that people with recurrent ulcers should use SLS-free toothpaste.
4. It Is Also Effective On Your DSog’s Teeth
Although it is not appropriate to brush your pet’s teeth with ordinary human toothpaste, but coconut oil is effective and safe for dogs and humans. It is better to apply it with a toothbrush and your pet can get some oral health benefits by licking a few oils.